When we think of Indian food, we often think of a creamy texture accompanied by a high fat content. Well, not this full flavour lean and mean Turkey alternative! When you are trying to reduce your fat intake, herbs and spices are your friends and although this recipe might be simple, it is packed with flavour. We love this recipe because it is super simple to make and you don’t have to spend time chopping up heaps of veggies. Only one onion! We think you can handle that… It also freezes pretty well for bulk meal prep.
Makes 6 serves
Calories per serve: 459
500gms turkey mince
1 brown onion
1 teaspoon olive oil or coconut oil
2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
500gms brown microwavable rice
1 cup or 170gms of frozen peas
6 teaspoons of Low Fat greek plain yoghurt (one for each serve)
- Heat your choice of cooking oil in a large non stick pan.
- Add the brown onion and turn occasionally for around 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Turn often for around 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and lemon juice. Break up the turkey and turn occasionally until the it no longer has any pink bits.
- Add the peas and garam masala. Turn occasionally for approximately 3 minutes until the peas have heated through.
- Cook the microwave rice as per packet instructions.
- Make a bed of rice and serve the tikka masala on top.
- Add a dollop of yoghurt. If you are freezing any of your serves, add the yoghurt fresh each time after defrosting your meal.