Butter Chicken is usually creamy, high in fat and saved for cheat meals. We were determined to find a lean version of this crowd pleasing recipe and Light Greek Yoghurt is a great option to add a creamy taste while keeping the Fat intake under control. Even including a tbsn of cooking oil into the recipe (be careful as a lot of recipes don't include this), we have managed to keep it to under 10gms of Fat per serve. This recipe really does spice up the old faithful Chicken and Rice combo and is a perfect meal prep recipe that will turn heads in the Office with its delicious aroma. It has plenty of Carbs and a massive 51gms of Protein to keep you fuelled throughout the day. We went with Brown Rice for the extra nutrients and to help keep you feeling fuller longer but feel free to change this to Basmati Rice if you prefer as it does boast a lower Fat content. This dish traditionally uses Chicken Thigh fillets but with the aim of keeping this meal as lean as possible, we have opted for Chicken Breast instead. These are just a few substitution ideas for how you can satisfy your cravings, keep your meals lean and most importantly, enjoy the food you are eating!
Makes: 6 serves
Calories per serve: 470
INGREDIENTS:4 Chicken Breasts
1 Brown Onion
1 tbsp Olive Oil (or personal cooking oil preference)
900gms Kent Pumpkin
2 tspns Crushed Garlic
1 tspn Crushed Ginger
125mL Chicken Stock
1/2 tspn Crushed Chilli (depends how hot you like it)
1 tbsn Garam Masala
1 tbsn nCumin Seed
1 1/2 tbsn Cumin Powder
170gms Tomato Paste
125gms Light Greek Yoghurt
450gms Brown Rice
- Cut the Chicken Breast into cubes
- Peel the Pumpkin and cut into cubes
- Heat the Oil in a large pan and then add the Chicken.
- Boil water in a pot and add the Pumpkin.
- Dice the Onion.
- Once the Chicken has started to brown, add the Chicken Stock followed by all the other ingredients (except the Yoghurt) and let the sauce simmer on a low heat.
- Once the Pumpkin is tender (should take around 10mins), drain the Pumpkin, give it a bit of a mash and add it into the sauce. Turn the sauce for a few minutes to help mix the Pumpkin into the sauce.
- Heat the Rice as per packet instructions.
- Stir the Yoghurt into the sauce.
- Serve the sauce over a bed of Rice and enjoy!